Thursday, October 30, 2008

These Boots Were Made For Walking All Over You

Dear Liam and Me,

I've been described as a fairly big-hearted person. That being said, I'm also a pushover. I let my best friend move down to live with me after she got kicked out of college. I did this with the stipulation she get a job and pay rent and such.

I got her her first job, and things were okay for the first month. Then she quit her job, and I was expected to pay every bill AND buy her food. I was working 40 hour weeks and going to school while she sat at the apartment playing on myspace. I was also taking her to shows, buying her CDs, and getting her tattoos. I bought her cigarettes even though my mother died from smoking, and steak at restaurants even though I don’t eat meat.

Every time I tried to kick her out, she'd guilt me into letting her stay. This past week, with the help of my family, I finally managed to get her out of the country, away from me.

All of our mutual friends have decided to be mad at me because she's gone. They never had to take care of her and none of them offered her a place to stay when they knew she was leaving, but they still find it really easy to blame me for her not being around anymore.

Should I try to make them understand the situation or should I just ditch them for better friends?

Troubled in Texas


Uhhh, can you like buy me cigarettes bitch?


Dear Troubled –

OH MY F*CKING GOD. Calling yourself a pushover is the understatement of the century. Its cool to ask for help, but no friend should ever impose on you to the extent that this girl did. And no friend should let herself be walked over to that insane degree. You missed out on a million chances to say “No [way in hell, biatch]!” Buying her smokes, steak, and tattoos? While paying every single bill and letting her crash? Wow.

I’m glad you finally got her out of your apartment, and its probably better that she is out of the country.

As for your “mutual friends”, it’s easy to complain when you don’t have to bear the burden. I’m inclined to say find some better friends. But if you want to keep them around, point out their hypocrisy. Try telling them you’d be happy to call her up and tell her she’s welcome to come back move in at THEIR houses.

“No.”
“No way in hell.”
“You have got to be kidding me.”
“How about you pick up this steak dinner and I’ll get the next?”
“Get out of my apartment or I will throw your sh*t in the street.”

With resolve,
Liam

No comments: