Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bad Friends


Dear Liam and Me -

I have a friend who I’ve hung out with a lot. She always acts superior, calls me a “dumbass”, and makes me feel really stupid. It’s ok to joke around sometimes, but she takes it to the extreme.

Today when I wasn’t in the mood to talk, she told me I “have an attitude problem and really need to change it”. She left for class without me and began telling my friends about my apparent attitude problem.

I don’t know if we can still be friends. To tell the truth, she’s not a good friend to begin with. She only thinks about herself, thinks she’s better than anyone, and will never be there for anything.

What should I do? Should I talk it out or keep it in?

Sincerely,
Deprecated Self

Dear Deprecated:

Any friend who makes you feel that miserable probably isn’t worth having. Still, there’s the off chance that she’s so insensitive that she doesn’t realize what she’s doing. And if you’ve kept her around this long, there must be something about her you like.

Communication is always the answer. Sit her down and REALLY make her understand how crappy she makes you feel, citing as many examples as you possibly can. Be firm but polite. Who knows, maybe she’ll apologize and change her ways. Otherwise be prepared to find a new BFF who doesn’t make you feel worthless.

Liam

No comments: