Friday, January 25, 2008

Writer's Bloc


Dear Liam –
I’m an amazing writer, right? And I have all these ideas.
But when I try to type them out, my mind goes blank.

I don’t know if you guys write stories, but I know you write songs and lyrics. Do you ever get writer’s block? If so, how do you deal with it?

Luhvv,
Mae
Dear Mae:

Writer’s block is the balls, and every artist suffers from it. You have to figure out what inspires you and makes you feel creative, then try and get yourself into that mindset.

Two things help me a lot:

1. Jot down every little idea you have. Even if its just one little part, one cool fragment, one character’s revelation, little snippets can be synthesized into a great story and prove to be a breakthrough.

2. If you write, read lots of books. If you make music, listen to tons of music. Movies, painting, photography, whatever. Consume lots of the art you aspire to make and mine it for ideas.

Good things will come to you. Promise. Absinthe and mushrooms have also helped many great creative minds.

Cheers,
Liam

No comments: