Friday, February 13, 2009

Nerds Love Confident Women

Dear Dr. Liam and Me,

Okay, so, there is this boy. He is top of the class, a genius. He's intriguing, he fascinates me, but to the point where I cannot form coherent sentences. It's more than the generic butterflies—it’s straight up paralysis. I stutter, I mumble, I look everywhere but at him. How do I over come this?

A lot of the time I feel I'm just not good enough for him, but that can't be entirely right. We get along, we have things in common, he seems interested enough, and he puts up with my frantic rambling. But I really don't like how nervous I get around him. Is there some secret formula to cure these extreme nerves? Am I just a silly girl with a silly crush? Help?

Much love,
Dazed and Confused

Dear Dazed –

Thank you for the honorary doctorate! We can’t remember completing med school or a Ph.D program.

You’re lacking confidence in a big way. There is no secret formula or silver bullet, but confidence is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you tell yourself this guy is a god and you are a slug, you will be nervous and awkward. If you tell yourself you’re a hot piece and this dude would be lucky to have you, you will project that vibe instead.

It really comes down to practice and comfort in your own skin. People usually get better at this with time. Here’s one little trick though: get dressed up in your favorite outfit, put on some subtle hot eye makeup and a pair of cool heels. Nothing too intense! You don’t want to look like a prom date or hooker. But you’re a pretty girl, and if you work it just a little bit people will take notice and you’ll get that little boost of confidence. Even top of the class braniacs are slayed by a little production value. Maybe when confronted with your new secure attitude, he’ll start to get butterflies of his own…ow!

Let us know how things pan out!
Liam

1 comment:

Devin Geraci said...

spoiler: this is really about matt o'dowd <3