Friday, February 13, 2009

To Strip or Not To Strip

Dear Liam -

I moved to a new city about 5 months ago and still haven’t found a job. Although my father has been generous with financial assistance, I have recently been cut off. I have been trying very hard to find a job, it just seems that this city wasn’t meant for newcomers.

I have a friend who's a stripper, and I could easily get that job. The problem is that I have too much respect for myself to flaunt my naked body in front of strangers or worse, my guy friends. Word would get around quickly, not to mention my current boyfriend would surely find out. I'm not sure how he'd react to such a career seeing as he’s a successful photographer.

I'm not scared to shake what my momma gave me, and I’ve been told that I look awesome naked! My bills are starting to pile up and I can’t continue living off the generosity of my friends. Do I make dat money by lowering my morals and showing some (or a lot) of skin, or continue to be that moocher friend?

Sincerely,
Bills or booty

Dear Bills –

God I loved this message. It’s a classic, but that doesn’t make it any less tough. A few things to consider:

- Strippers can make bank, but it carries a lot of baggage forever
- You will not be able to keep it a secret from your friends.
- The economy is balls, but there are jobs available.
- Careerbuilder and craigslist are not the way to find work – networking is key

From your description, it seems like you are flattered by the offer but uncomfortable with the reality. I say give yourself some more time to find a more legit job. Ask everyone you know about available opportunities. Show up to places you like in person and ask around. Your best bet is to find opportunities through the same channels you found your stripper offer. I’m confident you can do it, and if things get really tough you can give “exotic dancing” a go!

Sidenote: dating a stripper is a rollercoaster ride. On one hand, you’re very very proud that every dude in the room is ogling the lady that YOU get to take home at the end of the day. On the other hand, jealously and paranoia will drive you insane.

Send us some hot pics?
Liam and Me

No comments: